DevOps Protocols Engineer (Canada Remote)
Axelar delivers secure cross-chain communication for Web3. Our infrastructure enables dApp users to interact with any asset or application, on any chain, with one click. Axelar is a blockchain that connects blockchains, enabling universal Web3 interoperability. The network is secured using proof-of-stake consensus, and messages are routed and translated using permissionless protocols. Axelar is like Stripe for Web3.
Axelar has raised capital from top-tier investors, including Binance, Coinbase Ventures, Dragonfly Capital, and Polychain Capital. Partners include major proof-of-stake blockchains, such as Avalanche, Cosmos, Ethereum, Polkadot and Terra. Axelar’s co-founders are founding team members of Algorand and award-winning graduates of MIT, where they received notable recognition as part of their graduate studies.
Since the start of the year, the Axelar Network processed >$1.5B in cross-chain volume, connected 27 chains, and hundreds of developers are building around the stack.
As a DevOps protocols engineer, you will be a key contributor helping scale and operate the Axelar network.
What you will be doing
- You will be taking on responsibilities to operate the public network. This includes managing the deployments and upgrades of Axelar's smart contracts & core network, managing foundation delegations, driving governance of network and improving stability and reliability of in-house DApps.
- Building and expanding our monitoring capabilities to ensure our stack, as well as that of public validators, runs smoothly
- Evaluating and helping integrate new protocols
- Strengthening our security posture and refining protocols for offline signing etc.
- Improving the infrastructure and deployment to improve team's agility and velocity
- Forging solid relationships within Axelar to fully understand the needs in the ecosystem whilst working in an agile environment
What you will need
- Experience deploying Smart Contracts
- Good understanding of cryptography
- Scripting / Go / Rush coding skills
- Experience managing a blockchain network, coordinating upgrades etc.
- Experience with containers and Kubernetes in a cloud environment
- Experience with monitoring and alerting tools (Grafana, Prometheus, etc.)
- Experience working with modern CI/CD tools
- You have a strong sense of ownership, with the ability to lead and share knowledge to reach solutions as well as the keenness to learn
- Security oriented coding and deployment mindset
- You’re open to collaborating with internal and external stakeholders, flourishing in a distributed environment
- You enjoy being hands on, being a self starter that thrives well in ambiguity
- A problem solver at heart that can envision successful outcomes
- You have a creative flair, always seizing an opportunity to to do things differently
- Understand how to use blockchains / DeFi as a user
What’s in it for you
- Autonomous, distributed environment with the opportunity to work collaboratively in a diverse team across the world
- The scope to contribute to high impact work and really make a difference in a decentralized protocol
- Chance to really challenge yourself whilst learning heaps of stuff in the process
- Unlimited time off throughout the year to rest and recharge
- Competitive compensation with stock options, experiencing growth from the initial phase
Axelar is the universal interoperability network connecting all blockchain ecosystems, applications, assets, and users. Axelar network consists of a protocol suite, tools, and APIs, designed to break down the barriers to cross-chain communication. Powered by a decentralized open network of validators; anyone can join the network, use it and build on it. The Axelar network makes cross-chain communication as simple as using http(s) protocols on the web. Platform developers can plug-in their blockchains to other ecosystems, and application builders and users can leverage a simple protocol and API to access global liquidity and communicate with the entire ecosystem.
Senior Software Engineer, Blockchain Protocols
Empower the Individual Through Crypto
Gemini is a crypto exchange and custodian that allows customers to buy, sell, store, and earn more than 30 cryptocurrencies like bitcoin, bitcoin cash, ether, litecoin, and Zcash. Gemini is a New York trust company that is subject to the capital reserve requirements, cybersecurity requirements, and banking compliance standards set forth by the New York State Department of Financial Services and the New York Banking Law. Gemini was founded in 2014 by twin brothers Cameron and Tyler Winklevoss to empower the individual through crypto.
Crypto is about giving you greater choice, independence, and opportunity. We are here to help you on your journey. We build crypto products that are simple, elegant, and secure. Whether you are an individual or an institution, we want to help you buy, sell, and store your bitcoin and cryptocurrency. Crypto is not just a technology, it's a movement.
At Gemini, our mission is to empower the individual and that includes giving our employees flexibility of choice — our Office Optional Policy allows employees to choose to work from one of our physical locations or from home.
Select roles that are location-specific will still be eligible for flexible schedules.
The Department: Software Engineering
Gemini is regulated and licensed like a bank, but it’s run like a tech startup, and engineering is the core of the company. There’s a wide range of tough problems to solve at Gemini – from properly securing hundreds of millions of dollars worth of customer funds, to developing innovative new blockchain products, to finding new techniques to combat fraud, to shaving microseconds off our API response times, and everything in between.
All of Gemini’s engineers are able to work across the software platform, not just on their own specialization or subteam. We value a thoughtful, collaborative software development process, coupled with a pragmatic approach to problem solving and delivering software.
The Role: Senior Software Engineer
As an engineer on the Blockchain Protocols team, you will be working with an elite team of engineers to build and support the platform that connects Gemini products to external blockchain networks. You will tackle complex problems that have a massive impact on the entire company, including properly securing millions of dollars worth of customer funds, navigating the complexities of new blockchain network protocols, developing innovative new blockchain products, and ensuring the blockchain protocols platform is as highly available as the distributed networks it connects to. We have a strong culture of code reviews, and a focus on security, with the end goal of writing and shipping high-quality code by getting things right the first time. We want to continue building the best product we can as we scale and grow our business. If you get excited about solving technical challenges that directly impact our customers, clients, and the rest of the Gemini team, we’d love to hear from you.
- Propose, design, and develop new functionality to support the goals of our blockchain protocol platform
- Dive deep into new blockchain protocols to determine the best way to integrate them into Gemini’s platform
- Write automated tests and work with our product team to ensure the operation and correctness of new product features.
- Review other software engineers’ code for correctness, style, and information security concerns.
- Improve the performance, maintainability, and operations of the Gemini code base by engaging in occasional refactoring and upgrade projects.
- Provide feedback and help to drive initiatives to continually improve the team’s culture and ways of working
- At least 6 years of software engineering experience.
- Advanced proficiency in at least one statically typed language. We use mostly Scala on our backend – it’s great if you’re comfortable in that but it’s not required as long as you’re willing to learn.
- The ability to work closely across teams and manage dependencies.
- A customer- and product-focused mindset, with the ability to make well-reasoned tradeoffs between speed and quality.
- The ability to adapt and handle multiple competing priorities in collaboration with peers.
- Familiarity with blockchain networks and cryptocurrencies
- Experience working with or being a power user of Bitcoin, Ethereum, and/or blockchain technology
- Work experience or knowledge of the finance industry, payments, trading and/or exchange systems
It Pays to Work Here
The compensation & benefits package for this role includes:
- Competitive starting salary
- A discretionary annual bonus
- Long-term incentive in the form of a new hire equity grant
- Comprehensive health plans
- 401K with company matching
- Annual Learning & Development stipend
- Paid Parental Leave
- Flexible time off
Salary Range: In compliance with the New York City Pay Transparency Law, the base salary range for this role is between $152,000.00 - $213,000.00 in New York City. This range is not inclusive of our discretionary bonus or equity package. When determining a candidate’s compensation, we consider a number of factors including skillset, experience, job scope, and current market data.
At Gemini, we strive to build diverse teams that reflect the people we want to empower through our products, and we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status. Equal Opportunity is the Law, and Gemini is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. If you have a specific need that requires accommodation, please let a member of the People Team know.