API Product Engineering Manager
BitMEX is the world’s leading cryptocurrency derivatives trading platform, which has pioneered cryptocurrency trading through relentless commitment to change, and continues to set benchmarks for innovation, liquidity, and security today.
As the world's most advanced peer-to-peer crypto-products trading platform and API, BitMEX gives knowledge, confidence, and precision to hundreds of thousands of traders, transacting billions of USD a day.
The BitMEX Trading Technology department sits at the core of the business and handles all brokerage and trading aspects of the platform. The team is responsible for order management, risk checking, position keeping, PNL calculations, pricing (derivatives), risk management, market data distribution, order matching, and settlement.
Upstream and downstream of the Trading Engine is a rich and comprehensive API through which users submit order requests and receive real-time updates. The Trading API team is responsible for the design, development, and maintenance of API services related to Trading.
As Team Lead, you are responsible for this function.
- Line management, technical leadership and mentorship of a team of engineers in Trading API
- Design, develop, test, and support new and existing Trading software services
- Work closely with the Engine Development team and Trading Data Services team on the firm’s data distribution architecture
- Work closely with the Trading Analytics team to understand how clients use the Websocket API to inform design decisions. In particular microburst behaviour, usage patterns, invalid requests, handling of highly variable workload, and rate limit usage.
- Ensure that all parts of the Trading Engine access and distribution layers are running correctly, with appropriate monitoring and testing in place to identify any potential issues
- Work closely with the Trading Platform Product Management to develop trading API documentation for external consumers
- Identify and implement performance and efficiency improvements to the internal and user facing Trading API architecture
- As an Engineering Manager within Trading Technology, contribute to department-wide engineering and architectural design initiatives for the Trading Platform
You follow good principles of software engineering like TDD, writing modular, maintainable, clean code, and are used to working in an Agile environment.
- Strong engineering skill set with firm grasp of fundamental Computer Science principles and a test-driven approach to software development
- 7+ years programming experience writing high throughput Market Data distribution services, ideally in FX, Equities or Derivatives markets in Java or another OO language
- 5+ years financial experience at a Hedge Fund, Investment Bank, or Exchange building market data systems
- Strong knowledge in and experience with financial services protocols including FIX, OUCH, ITCH, SBE, Protobuf or similar
- Expert in Networking with experience utilising low latency messaging frameworks like Ultra Messaging, Aeron, Chronicle Queue
- Expert in writing latency sensitive Java services, with experience working with libraries like LMAX Disruptor
- Experience managing a small team of engineers, and leading multiple concurrent projects
- Experience managing stakeholder relationships including managing a book of work
- Ability to adapt to changing priorities within a fast moving industry and startup culture
- Preferable: experience building microservice architecture systems, test automation, BDD, scaling, and performance tuning
- STEM degree preferable
Join us, as we build a thriving cryptocurrency ecosystem through strategic investments in emerging cryptocurrency technology, and create the future of digital financial services.
BitMEX is the world’s leading cryptocurrency derivatives trading platform, which has pioneered cryptocurrency trading through relentless commitment to change, and continues to set benchmarks for innovation, liquidity, and security today. As the world's most advanced peer-to-peer crypto-products trading platform and API, BitMEX gives knowledge, confidence, and precision to hundreds of thousands of traders, transacting billions of USD a day. Join us, as we build a thriving cryptocurrency ecosystem through strategic investments in emerging cryptocurrency technology, and create the future of digital financial services.
Engineering Manager, Blockchain
21.co is the world’s leader in providing access to crypto through simple and easy to use products. 21.co is the parent company of 21Shares and Amun, and its mission is to build bridges into the crypto world.21Shares is the world’s largest issuer of cryptocurrency exchange traded products (ETPs) and is powered by Onyx, a proprietary technology platform used to issue and operate cryptocurrency ETPs for 21Shares and third parties. 21Shares mission is to make crypto easy.
Amun is a blockchain infrastructure company focused on making purchasing crypto more accessible by offering a suite of tools for passive strategies across major DeFi platforms. Amun’s mission is to simplify your crypto journey.
The company was founded in 2018 by Hany Rashwan and Ophelia Snyder and is a global organization, with offices in Zurich and New York. Cathie Wood, Chief Executive Officer & Chief Investment Officer of ARK Invest is a board member.
About the Role:
We are looking for a talented, hands-on and experienced Engineering Manager, Blockchain to manage and grow a team of engineers for one of our various DeFi blockchain products. The project will be cutting edge and unique to the crypto industry. There will be massive opportunities to learn new technologies and skillsets, as well as the chance to develop, test, and maintain code for our mission-critical products.
Our culture is all about diversity, communication, collaboration and education. This manager will act as the face of this culture, working to streamline across geographies and teams.
This role will consist of a mix of hands-on, architecture, resource management and strategy responsibilities.
Responsibilities and Scope:
- Manage and oversee our Blockchain engineering team and platform, architecture and systems
- Create and maintain high quality software documentation and other written assets to document and explain the system design and functionality
- Help analyze and improve our existing Tokens platform either through iteration or a replatform
- Disciplined in good architectural and engineering practices
- Grow, manage, guide and mentor a team of cross-functional engineers across multiple disciplines
- 5+ years of engineering experience, specifically in blockchain/crypto
- 3+ years of managerial experience, leading teams of 3-5 engineers
- Experience leading an agile scrum team
- Demonstrated experience with engineering coaching, mentorship and conflict resolution
- Ability to work hands on in an agile environment and modern tech stack, as needed
- Experience developing APIs, backend microservices and database design
- Experience with front end technologies and frameworks
- Experience developing and expanding responsive and rich interactive web applications
- Experience designing, scaling and maintaining production content media sites
- Passionate about building high-quality well-tested code, at scale
- Has professional experience building blockchain technology and willing to learn and keep at the forefront of cryptocurrency continually
- Must be passionate about working with a growing team in an office environment